Farm Stress and #SOYHELP
Farming is often recognized as one of the most stressful vocations. Not only are farmers entrepreneurs and small business owners, they’re also working with the unpredictability of markets and weather. Stress is something we all feel, and at times it can become overwhelming or have other detrimental impacts on mental health.
There are many resources available for support, from tips and advice to counseling for both crisis and long-term situations, including those tailored for farmers.
- The #SOYHELP program from the American Soybean Association, United Soybean Board and state soybean organizations like the Missouri Soybean Association and Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council brings together resources for farmers in states where soybeans are grown. Click here for a PDF listing of options.
- Show-Me Hope offers counseling and mental health services in declared disaster area counties. In addition to face-to-face counseling, there also is a hotline and text line in operation. The 24-hour disaster distress hotline is 800-985-5990, and individuals can also text “TalkWithUs” to 66746.
- Missourians may also reach out to helphimstay.org, which offers a wealth of resources and educational fact sheets, or to the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The Missouri Coalition for Community Behavioral Healthcare is offering the myStrength app, a self-help resource that is available 24/7, is private and confidential, and provides information and inspiration on multiple topics. myStrength offers content and resources on including Coping Skills During COVID-19, stress management, depression, anxiety, sleep disturbance issues, and more. Follow this link to register for myStrength.
Looking for more resources? Partners across agriculture in Missouri and surrounding states have compiled these:
- Coping with Stress During an Infectious Disease Outbreak
- Farm and Ranch Family Stress and Depression – Checklist and Referral Guide
- Farm Families and Mental Health
- Stress Management and the Challenge of Balance
- Mental Health Supports – Infographic
- How Stress Affects Your Health
- Helping Children Cope Emotionally