(JEFFERSON CITY, Mo.) – The Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council (MSMC) and partners support one of the top soybean production research programs in the country. This program has supported soybean production, processing and market development research in Missouri since 1980 and continues to invest in new and advancing technologies and genetics.
MSMC is requesting topics for soybean research and market innovation from individuals and/or institutions interested in conducting 2023-2024 soybean research. This refined project proposal plan will focus on adding direct value back to Missouri soybean farmers by allowing additional opportunities for feedback prior to full project proposal submission. Submissions are encouraged that support creative solutions or identify new opportunities for soybean production, demand, breeding, or education and promotion. MSMC farmer board members will review project proposals in January and February. Funding decisions will be finalized and contracts issued in March/April 2023.
Timelines for Project Submission and Approval:
September 1- Search for Soybean Innovation Concepts released
October 5- Soybean Innovation Concepts due
November 1- Request for full proposals from Concepts of Interest
December 15- Full proposals due
Early March- PIs notified of funding decisions
Research emphasis areas for 2023-2024 project funding includes:
- Production research priorities in support of the soybean breeding programs
- Improving soybean management practices through research and demonstration
- Developing specific soybean traits for specialized uses, such as high oleic soybean oil
- Effective soybean marketing and growing existing markets, including within the field of livestock
- Commercialization of industrial uses for soybeans, soybean meal and soybean oil produced in Missouri
- New and novel uses of soybeans for commercial applications if substantial market potential exists
Research Concept Instructions: (Please address in general non-scientific terms; Approx. 500 words)
- Define the problem, challenge or opportunity your concept will address
- Describe your proposed solution
- Clarify the direct impact this project will have on Missouri soybean farmers
- Include an estimated annual budget amount to complete the project
- Attach a separate document including a 2-page max curriculum vitae or resume of the project’s PI
The invitation for full proposal submission only indicates the concept is of interesting nature and is not a guarantee of funding. Funding is awarded annually and proposals must be resubmitted each year over the course of the project.
Concept proposals are due no later than October 5, 2022. Applications should be submitted electronically here. Official receipt of proposals will be acknowledged by Beth McCollum, MSMC’s research administrator.
Applications received electronically after October 5, 2022 may not be considered for 2023-2024 funding.
For assistance, contact Beth McCollum with the Missouri Soybean Merchandising Council at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical inquiries should be directed to Eric Oseland, Director of Agronomy and Research, email@example.com.